About me

I've been riding and racing my mountain bikes since 2009 at the same time as studying a medical degree, I tried a training plan once and realised I hate intervals with a passion so instead I just ride and race and enjoy...

Monday, October 27, 2014

The Mont24- Reboot Version 2


So the Mont24 was supposed in be in March, it got rained out fairly spectacularly which was crap for most people but great for me because it meant that I didn’t miss out. By the time the rescheduled date came around in October I was healed and back on the bike, so we had a mixed team of 6 still despite more member changes than underwear changes since the initial entry.

An amazing sunset over the Mont24 camp

Then Tim entered the Croc Trophy so he was out but PowerRanger Luke stepped in so back to a 6. Having raced 24 hour races in a three, and even attempted a pair once, racing in a 6 feels relaxed. Roughly 4 hours of riding over the weekend, sure they are hot laps but that’s less riding than I do on a given Sunday.

So I rode to work Thursday, then over the course of 20 minutes our team of 6 became 5, and then became 4… I caught the train home!
Dusty conditions out on track

At rego we did a category switch, no longer racing in mixed 6s we were going to be in the more competitive field of mixed 4s. Unfortunately our prime candidate for first lap (Turbo Stu) was one of the last minute withdrawal so the boys were debating who got the gig. Big Keith looks the scariest due to his tats and muscles so we figured he’d get more space in the mayhem – he was sh*tting himself.

Anyway, a far cry from the first scheduled date it was hot and dry with temperatures nudging 30 at race start. Fine layers of dust covered everything and everyone even before we got racing, then finally the race started to the cacophony of a thousand cow bells.

After the first few laps we were in 4th place, but everyone knows 24 races are won or lost overnight so we kept cycling through the team and didn’t really check results. Things ran smoothly, no missed transitions, no major stacks or mechanicals.

We started doubles about 10pm and had the novel experience of not even needing arm warmers for the unusually mild night temperatures. The boys struggled a little overnight but I think that was mental than physical as the times stayed really consistent despite their stories of woe. Having been on and off night shift I didn’t really mind the sleep disturbance and my night double ended smoothly in the early morning predawn light that is magical at the Mont.

By now we were convincingly in 3rd but 2nd was also in reach, a podium in mixed 4s is a pretty good result! I was still feeling strong, something I was happy about considering the year I’ve had. Eddie found fresh legs when the sun came up and we kept the same rider order going like clockwork.

Luke was our last lap rider, and it was nail biting stuff – in the end we missed 2nd place by one minute and 20 seconds! But that’s 24 racing for you :-) no regrets as we raced our best and made no mistakes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment